July 30, 2008

Summer reading

(wow this is longer than I thought)

Ok So I finally finished my First Novel, no not ever, but for the summer. I have this rule during the school year I won't read any books, becuase I should be reading my textbooks, even though I don't always read my textbooks it leaves me free to. I have a serious problem, I get lost into the world of books anytime I am reading a series especially. I usually will start a series when the first couple books are already out, this helps me to not have to wait for the next ones to come, Like all my friends who have waited for all the Harry potter or those waiting for Twilight.

So I have been reading the Last book in the series hearts of the children, which is the 2nd part to the series Children of the promise. If you haven't heard or read these books I will tell you a little about them. All together, the series Children of the promise and Hearts of the Children, are a total of 10 books written by Dean Hughes. The first set CotP is about a family in Salt lake city in the 1940 and all 5 books follows this family and there 6 kids through 40's-50's and the effect the war had on them.
I got hook becuase I have loved that era of History, the way people dealt with the war. This book covers all sides, Germany, the Pacific island side, Phillipines, and POW camps. It was so enjoyable I was sad to finish. I became part of the Thomas Family, and Now I would never know how all thier lives ended. But then one day I found out years later, Dean Hughes was writing a second Series, Hearts of the Children. This series is about the Thomas Kids Kids, the 2nd generation. it Followed the Oldest 4 Grandkids in the 60-70's, and one cousin who lives in East Germany, dealing with the church behind the Iron Curtian. It wasn't as easy as a read as the first but I was able to be part of the Thomas Family again.

But now its over, I am glad everything worked out the way I hoped for the most part, But I am still sad, it feels I have been kicked out of the family.
I have to add my favorite part of this series is finding relateable to some of the characters at differnt parts of the books, and since It is LDS fiction it makes it easier to find my struggles, and I am able to find differnt solutions or strength in the books, Is that possible.
One Character in particular in the fifth book in the series really has helped me with life over the last couple of weeks. Dean Hughes is an amazing author and I would recommend this series to anyone, and even though these books are in an era I wasn't even alive for I was still able to find myself in the books. And I have actually found myself grateful for him having written them the way he did, and I am finding strength in reading them.

Sorry if this boring to read, but I wanted to include this in my journal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should read the 5 book series of "The Great and Terrible" by Chris Stewart. The first book is called "the brothers" (the brothers being Satan and Jesus) and i'm only on the 3rd book but they are really amazing!! It is absolutley insane how realistic it is and how much it makes you think! I DEFINATELY recommend them!! (plus they're all already out so no waiting!)

Cardalls said...

I started with the Hearts of the Children several years ago...didn't know there was a 2nd series--good to know!

And I DID just get kicked out of a family--the Northstar Family :(!