So if you didn't Know I was asked last sunday to give a talk today. My response was, Oh mother's day so I should talk on Mothers right..... Bishop said I didn't have to unless I wanted to, any gospel topic would be fine.
Oh how I don't like being told that, I wasn't sure what to do the talk on, so I thought I should ask my mom, If she could listen to a talk on Mother's day sunday what would it be on....
She told me she hates it when on mother's day everyone always talks on perfect ideal mothers, kinda makes here feel like a failure... (whatever mom!)
She would rather hear a talk about since being perfect is unattainable here on earth, she would love to hear a talk on being the best we can with what we have.
I felt good about this and went for it..... Luckily for me we didn't have a school this week, so Tuesday night I went to the churches website and looked for any talk about being the best, perfectionism, and mosiah 4:27. I printed anything that had a good quote in it. I think I got about 12 talks. Oh I did all this while doing a phone interview which went rather well since I was also reading talks.
So I got all the talks read and highlighted. and Still didn't know which way i could take the talk. I Am not a huge fan of talks I rather give lessons so I get crazy anxiety while preparing talks. this talk was no differnt, I didn't know what points to bring across and I was the last speaker, so I had to prepare for 20 min, plus. Funness
So Saturday was my day to sit down and write it, I was absolutely unmotivated. I had to force myself to compile a outline, and find all the quotes I wanted to. I decided if I could get a good outline I would reward myself by going to see a movie... Star trek if you didn't read the earlier post....
I went to dinner to get somewhat good BBQ with some friends from church. I talked them into going to see Star Trek and I was going to see it again, Until I felt I need to actually Write My talk out.
SO I declined after I gave them the idea... and getting alot of pressure to go.
I am actually glad I didn't. I was up till 11pm writing it. I finally felt right about what I decided to go with this talk.
I still was a little nervous. Oh and the talk before me was only 5 min and the rest hymn was teach me to walk in the light... very short. So I had about 40 min to speak...... Yippee Skippee Me!
When i got up to give my talk I actually felt like I was going to pass out, SO I warned bishop he might need to catch me. Luckily for me I didn't.
I spoke for a full 30 min, It was good.
Afterwards everyone enjoyed my talk, I got thanks, that was awesome, you did an amazing job.
So thanks mom for your stellar idea, It was exactly what I needed to speak on. just so you know It was a good talk about instead of being and trying to be perfect in all things, We should strive to do our best.
Here are some of my favorite quotes from my talk
"we shouldn't have Higher standards for ourselves than what Heavenly Father has established."
Worthiness is a process and perfection is an eternal trek. We can be worthy to enjoy certain privileges with out being perfect. --Marvin J Ashton
The church is for the perfecting of the saints, not a well provision Resthome for the already perfected --- Elder Maxwell
We need to remember men are that they might have joy.... Not Guilt Trips -Elder Nelson
Don't have to be fast, we simply have to be steady and move in the right direction. we have to do the best we can one step after another. ---Elder Witherlin
So If you ever want to know the full talk I don't know if I could do it again, But I hope you all know perfection won't be obtained until we are ressurected beings So just Do your best and go to the Lord when things get to Crazy and you loose hope in yourself.
Mosiah 4:27
1 comment:
Good job! I second your comment about preferring to teach a lesson. I'm impressed that you talked for 30 mins. Nice job!
Post a Comment